HOW TO GUIDE YOU, ENTERPRISE EDUCATION.

Join this forum discussion on new business skills, empowerment, and innovations
nassmnasir@gmail.com

HOW TO GUIDE YOU, ENTERPRISE EDUCATION.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:00 am

ENTERPRISE EDUCATION?

Enterprise education is the provision of learning opportunities which help students develop the attitude, knowledge and skills of the entrepreneur.

The enterprising individual both initiates and thrives on change. Enterprise education enables students to develop confidence, self-reliance and a determination to succeed. These abilities will benefit the individual in their future lives as entrepreneurs, employees and citizens of the global community.

Success as an entrepreneur

• Enterprise education encourages students to consider self employment as a career option and equips them with the skills to become a successful business owner.
Success in employment
• Enterprise education supports students in developing the skills demanded by employers in an ever increasingly competitive economy. Enterprising students have direction, motivation and determination to achieve their goals.
Success in life
• Enterprise education develops in the student skills in personal finance, decision making and creative thinking. Enterprising individuals have direction and the determination to make the most of challenging circumstances.
Definitions of Enterprise Education
The DfE proposes the following definition of enterprise education:
'Enterprise education is enterprise capability supported by better financial capability and economic and business understanding. Enterprise capability (includes) innovation, creativity, risk management and risk taking, a can-do attitude and the drive to make ideas happen. This concept embraces future employees, as well as future entrepreneurs (quoted in Developing Enterprising Young People Ofsted, HMI 2460, 2005).

The following definition is the most recent given by the DfE in:
A Guide to Enterprise Education (DCSF-00228-2010 March 2010)

Enterprise Capability:

.. the ability to handle uncertainty and respond positively to change, to create and implement new ideas and ways of doing things, to make reasonable risk/reward assessments and to act upon them in one’s personal life.

Financial capability:

.. is the ability to manage one’s own finances and to become questioning and informed customers of financial services.

Economic and business understanding:

..is the ability to understand the business context and make informed choices between alternative uses of scarce resources.
(A Guide to Enterprise Education DCSF-00228-2010 page 6)

Enterprise education is directly compatible with and supportive of the Every Child Matters agenda within the school setting.'

Fundamental to the successful implementation of enterprise education is work related learning which is an umbrella term for planned programmes of activities and qualifications that help learners make an easier and more effective transition from school to work. It includes experience in working environments, vocationally related qualifications and Key Skills. Career planning, economic awareness and personal development are also important elements of work-related learning.

Work-related learning involves learning 'about work', 'through work' and 'for work'.
• Learning about work means developing the learner's knowledge and understanding of the workplace.
• Learning through work is all about acquiring practical skills in a real working environment, for example on a work placement.
• Learning for work is where the learner's knowledge and skills are developed in a way that is directly relevant to the workplace.

Enterprise Charter

All of our students should have:

OPPORTUNITIES ‘I know what my options are’

CONFIDENCE ‘I know my strengths’

PURPOSE ‘I Know where I am going and how I’m going to get there’

DETERMINATION ‘I will overcome’

ECONOMIC USE ‘My financial judgement is sound’

All our students should develop the ability to:

Be creative
Solve problems
Make good decisions
Weigh up risk against benefit
Work with others
Financial Capability
Financial capability is the ability to manage one’s own finances and to become questioning and informed consumers of financial services.

Examples of areas of the curriculum where elements of financial capability can be taught:

Curriculum Area Examples of Financial Capability Activities

Art Working with local freelance ‘artists in residence’ students can consider financial issues related to being in business as an artist, such as costing created artefacts, calculating overhead costs and business planning. Extending the principles of creative projects in your school.

Citizenship Setting up and running a mini-business or social enterprise with the aim of improving the local environment or community services.
Food Technology Designing and producing a healthy eating product for sale, involving market research, budgeting, costing and calculating profit and loss.

Drama/Dance/Music

PE Managing front of house arrangements for a school’s Drama/Dance/Music/PE event which involves costing and selling tickets and programmes, providing and selling refreshments and promotional products at the event.

English Producing a book of short stories/poems written by the students that involves them in the business planning, market research, using accounting software, raising capital, costing and selling. Mentoring work with a feeder Primary School.

Business Studies Small groups of students creating and managing a portfolio of stocks and shares as part of a national competition e.g. stock market challenge, learning to work within a budget and how to identify and calculate profit
Mathematics Getting young people equipped with the knowledge and skills for them to make informed choices when they face personal and financial decisions at various stages of their lives. Use of SSAT resource ‘Adding up to a lifetime’
Religious Education / Communities A social enterprise project looking at new ideas for charity fund raising and the development of social and economic housing for communities through charitable funding. :)

Modern Foreign Languages Running a school shop or café in a modern foreign language increases understanding of working with Euros, for example, the day-to-day finances of the enterprise, retail and wholesale costings and being responsible for money management.

Science Creating a school pond, where students are given a budget to purchase plants and materials following research into ponds and pond life. They can keep simple accounts and bring spending in line with their budgets.
Geography Running a Fairtrade shop where the principles of Fairtrade are up held and promoted through the sale of goods, the venture can be supported by work within the curriculum on development and trade. :)

Where does financial capability fit with teaching and learning outcomes? :D

Key outcomes: enterprise capability Supportive outcomes: financial capability Supportive outcomes: business and economic understanding

Knowledge and understanding How businesses work, including set up; innovation; evaluating risk; managing change and closing operations Issues such as money; interest rates; credit; investment and understanding of financial products Concepts such as market competition; price efficiency and growth.

Skills Decision making; leadership; managing risk; personal effectiveness and interpersonal skills Budgeting; costing projects; financial planning; financial risk management and risk and return. Decision-making and investigating simple hypothesis

Attributes Self-reliance; a can-do attitude; ambition and an analytic questioning approach Taking responsibility for financial decisions; critically evaluating and participating in the use of financial services and products and a balanced approach to risk taking. Taking an interest in business and economic issues.

Students should not only consider their own financial choices but also how those made locally, nationally and internationally by others might affect both their personal and business lives now and in the future.
Learning for Enterprise
Every subject has a role to play in developing the knowledge, skills and attitude students need to become enterprising.

Maths - financial capability is underpinned by numerical skill. Numerical abilities are also essential to many decision making approaches Art - creative thinking is essential for the enterprising individual. Art also develops the ability to visualise, plan and communicate ideas.

History – the ability to carry out research, evaluate information and weigh up a variety of perspectives is central to make a good decision. Geography - understanding of industry and economic development are essential to enterprise. Skills in social enterprise can also be developed.

Science - scientific breakthroughs are increasingly the source of entrepreneurial activity. Students need both scientific spirit and discipline. RE - tolerance and an acceptance of human diversity mean that the enterprising individual works with others, not against them.

PE- enterprising people rarely work alone. PE develops the leadership and team-working ability needed to ensure your objectives are achieved. Technology - problem-solving, working to design briefs, developing a marketable product, critiquing your ideas - an enterprising subject in every way.
Drama – students need the confidence to present to an audience and the presence to hold their attention. English - writing is an essential tool of the entrepreneur, constructing convincing arguments and succinct requests under pressure.

Why is Enterprise Education Important? :)

Enterprise education is important, for several reasons:

• It lets students know that starting and operating a business is a career option. This is particularly important for those that may not plan to go to higher education.
• It reinforces basic skills in Literacy, Maths and ICT and relates these abilities to real applications.
• Personal finance capabilities are developed which will help students in their work and personal lives.
• It provides a bridge between the world of work and the school environment.
• Entrepreneurial individuals are better employees and develop skills that are becoming increasingly in demand by employers.
• It is a motivating approach to learning, developing in the student self-esteem and a sense of purpose.
• It equips students with life skills and makes them more positive contributors to society.

The most important fact to consider is that enterprise education is focussed on the individual and their potential to achieve. By using the language of enterprise it can be clearly stated that the aspirations of the students can benefit from this aspect of the curriculum.

Enterprise education: making academic and business skills compatible

I was a mature student, when after working several years in management, I did my first degree - a business course at a local further education college. My involvement in enterprise education started when, in 2003, I took on the role of entrepreneurship champion at that college, where I was now also working as a part-time lecturer.

In Wales, all of the education institutions, further and higher education, have to have a post which is called the entrepreneurship champion (EC). The champion's role involves proactively engaging with students and the educational institution to encourage them to be more entrepreneurial. A lot of the time, the EC's engaging with the academics to try to get them to put more entrepreneurial activity and entrepreneurial teaching into their courses, so that students begin to engender those entrepreneurial skills. :geek:

When a student is nearing graduation, if they have a propensity towards entrepreneurship, they already have the skills needed to start their own ventures as they've developed them within their course. The EC will also get involved in other projects that are going on within Wales and nationally, in Europe and internationally. They do so to contribute to those different projects but also to raise the profile of entrepreneurship within their own institution.

I became an enterprise educator when I took on a full-time lectureship at Swansea Met University in September 2009 and now I am the programme director on a new qualification to educate enterprise educators. The qualification which is being piloted by Swansea Met is an accredited module within our Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) for the Post Compulsory Education and Training (PCET) sector. :ugeek:

The module was developed in collaboration with the Welsh Enterprise Educators Network (WEEN). The consortia wanted a qualification, offered to educators, that would encourage them to use entrepreneurship within their teaching. The entrepreneurial educators module is about getting educators thinking about how they can be more entrepreneurial, and not to just stand up in front of a class and talk at people for hours. They've got to take a more entrepreneurial approach to teaching and also engender those skills in their learners. :twisted:

The Welsh government funds WEEN and is very keen for us to share the module with anyone who wants it. That's where the consortia is important. It encourages us to share best practice so that we're not doing something wrong and not know it. Any educational experience has got to be evaluated so that we're able to develop best practice we can share with other institutions.
Though the findings of the pilot are widely available, there hasn't been much take up, showing that so many institutions don't prioritise enterprise education. We're quite lucky within Swansea Met in that enterprise education has become part of our culture.

There's other institutions where it might not be.

There are those who suggest keeping enterprise education separate from academic activity but if you offer skills development as an extracurricular activity chances are you won't get many takers because students are already time poor, most of them have to work part-time and many already have a heavy workload. They're not going to be too interested in doing any extra curricular activities. So the idea is to try to embed it within the curriculum so that they're doing it without really realising.

I don't think there needs to be a divide between the entrepreneurial and the academic because it's easy to build those skills into any discipline. Entrepreneurship needn't automatically mean business enterprise and start ups. The PGCE teaches educators to regard entrepreneurship more broadly. One of my students on the module is a nurse and for her entrepreneurship is about coming up with ideas to improve processes. Obviously, there are certain procedures you don't want a nurse to experiment with but there are also many which can be improved and what an enterprise education gives her are the skills to work out for herself how systems can be improved. We'll ask: "What do you think would be the best process for doing that?" Then by looking at the process that is currently used, we ask how can it be changed or modified to make it better.

Having left school with very little by way of qualifications, I then thought: "Gosh, I'm not going to go anywhere here, I need to go back and do something more," I feel that I am a testament to the fact that entrepreneurship is first about seizing opportunities. It is not about turning academics or students into business people but about helping them look at life through entrepreneurial eyes - especially in today's job market. An entrepreneurial employee is valuable. From an employers perspective, if you have two graduates standing in front of you and one of them has just got a degree and the other one has got a degree but also has all these skills, it's obvious which one the employer will choose. :)

REFERENCE: -

http://www.youwinconnect.org.ng/